Thursday, September 10, 2009

This Never Gets Old

I know that readers of this blog may tire of my continual ranting about Lucas' kind and good spirit, but, honestly, I am never, ever going to stop writing about it because I find it so amazing.

Yesterday, Lucas, Mya and I were heading into Huntsville for Mya's open house at school. I asked if anyone wanted a piece of gum for the trip and Mya piped up "I do," while Lucas replied "No, I'm not really good at gum".

Lucas didn't realize that over the past few days Mya has successfully learned how to chew gum without swallowing it so he was immediately all excited for her. He raved "Mya, you're doing it!". "That's so great little girl". "I can't really chew gum, but you can! Good girl". He went on and on marvelling at her gum-chewing abilities and he was so thrilled for her new accomplishment. "You've just set a record - you should get a trophy!". He was considering a jar of olives as a reward :).

So, for about 25 minutes, he checked on the status of her gum every few minutes and each time showered Mya with praise.

So, here is a six year old. One who cannot chew gum without swallowing it and one who is lavishing authentic and true praise on his three year old sister who has just surpassed his own ability.

How many people do you know that can truly be happy for their loved ones when they accomplish something that they themselves want? How many people can be effusive and constant with encouragement and praise in this circumstance? I am so in awe of this boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment