Thursday, August 27, 2009

What to Do?

Lucas hates school. He hates the bus. He is showing some signs of deep anxiety the last few days and I'm unsure about what to do.

Initially, I felt that standing back and letting Lucas figure it out on his own was the way to go. Now that we are a couple weeks in and it shows no signs of improving for him (it's getting worse if anything), should I alter my response?

I wrote a note to the teacher this morning to let her know what is going on and I asked her opinion too. Is it better to stay away from the school and let him figure it out? Is it helpful to go for lunches, pick him after school every day? Get in the classroom as a volunteer?

For now, I think I will pick him up once in a while and go for lunch with him once or twice a month. This is more than I have been doing, but doesn't go all overboard in saving him when he needs to figure out a way to save himself.

Craig had a good point ... .when I weaned my kids, I would never have dreamed to do it "cold turkey" so having a graduated withdrawal from me makes sense. I'm curious what his teacher says. I will keep you posted. I just want Lucas to love learning and I hope we can find a way to have that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment