Thursday, May 27, 2010

Back to Allowance Jobs

Now that summer is here, I hope to return to having Lucas help me out. I can hardly believe he is almost 7 and I'm certain I am vastly underusing his skills :)

This morning is our first morning of summer holiday and I've declared that his bed must be pulled up and he has to get dressed before any electronic devices are powered up. Today he has decided to stay in his jammies all day and that's okay with me. He happily made his bed.

We have been giving him $20 each month and he has been very smart about how he has used it. He had $50 saved and only recently spent it on a MarioKart wheel and some other Wii stuff.

Gathering garbage, carrying laundry to the laundry room and help watering plants have been part of the chore list in the past. I think I can add emptying dishwasher (alongside me), getting the mail and vacuuming to the list.

I know some homes pay way more or way less. I also know that some families pay an allowance and then offer "project" money for something extra like washing the car or mowing. I think we are at the right amount as I'm sure we drop more than $20 on things for Lucas throughout the month if we're not watching.

Have you heard of the parents who tie grades to monetary rewards? At the outset, I thought "how crazy" but as I mull it over, isn't that the way the world works? Get good results, get more money. Maybe not a bad lesson to impart?

No comments:

Post a Comment