Thursday, September 2, 2010

Brains don't have Buttons

"But my brain doesn't have any buttons for me to push," Lucas said with dismay as I was trying to convince him that he has the power to change his scary dreams. "You have the power," I explained but he wasn't really convinced.

When he woke up this morning I heard about the haunted house dream and I guess the images are returning tonight as he prepares to sleep. I encouraged him to imagine Sponge Bob sitting on a whoopee cushion on the front porch, all his friends greeting him with a big "Surprise" when he opened the door and a room full of computers ready for him.

"But what if someone scary is waiting there for me?" he feared. "Well, if I was you, I'd say something like 'you like computers too?' since he's standing in the computer room!". Again, not really buying it.

Finally, I gave him a big hug, a little squeeze and peck on the cheek. "Honey, if you have a scary dream, just remember what this Mommy-hug feels like and it won't be so scary anymore." Hopefully, his brain does have a Mommy-hug button he can push. You have the power. Sweet dreams sweetie.

No comments:

Post a Comment